Abriendo Puertas/Opening Doors Online Program Acquisition Institute
ABOUT ABRIENDO PUERTAS/OPENING DOORS (AP/OD)
Launched in 2007, AP/OD is the nation's first evidence-based program developed by and for Latino parents with children ages 0-5 – and adopted by diverse communities across the country. The program helps build parent leadership skills and knowledge to promote family wellbeing and positive outcomes for children by honoring family experiences, history, knowledge and supporting parents as powerful agents of change in the lives of their children and communities. For more information about Abriendo Puertas/Opening Doors please visit their website: https://ap-od.org/
In the Abriendo Puertas/Opening Doors Online 3rd Edition Program Acquisition Institute, participants will learn how to provide the curriculum directly to parents/families with children 0-5. This dynamic training will cover AP/OD best practices in the following topics:
- Popular education methodology and approach including adult learning methodology and facilitator skills
- Using culturally relevant activities to develop parent leadership
- Overview of curriculum and session formats
- Developing community partnerships and constructing a local resource kit, including using local education and health data as discussion tools
- Program implementation strategies including start-up recommendations, parent recruitment, retention, and integrating the AP/OD program into the local partners’ organizational structures including:
- Creating a welcoming environment for parent training
- Strengths-based/asset-based perspective for working with parents and families
NEWLY INTEGRATED: Newly developed training material that includes access and guidance for our new online course Effective Practices for Facilitating the AP/OD Program Virtually. The course includes an additional video presentation of AP/OD sessions being facilitated virtually and access to the newly developed facilitator guides and customizable PowerPoints in English and Spanish for each session of the curriculum (sessions 1-10 + a bonus orientation session). This course is designed to help guide and support the virtual implementation of the program.
TRAINING FORMAT: The online training will be facilitated in English. Participants will have 2 weeks to complete the 17-hr certification. Approximately half of the training will consist of self-paced online learning assignments. The other half will consist of 6 live workshops via Zoom where participants will interact with the cohort and the master trainer.
REQUIRED LIVE ZOOM DATES:
(Subject to change. The final schedule of times will be provided 5 days before the Institute begins.)
1. Tuesday, November 30, 2021 | Time: 9:30am – 11:05am Pacific Time (PT)
2. Thursday, December 2, 2021 | Time: 9:30am – 11:30am PT
3. Monday, December 6, 2021 | Time: 9:30am – 11:35am PT
4. Tuesday, December 7, 2021 | Time: 9:30am -11:35am PT
5. Thursday, December 9, 2021 | Time: 9:30am – 10:55am PT
6. Friday, December 10, 2021 | Time: 9:30am – 11:15am PT
* Please note that in order to receive your facilitator certification it is required that you complete all self-learning assignments and participate in all of the live Zoom sessions.
Target audience: FIRST 5 Family Resource Centers
Please register at https://communityoflearning.first5kids.org
Please register here to receive the Zoom link, informaiton, materials, certificates, etc. https://forms.gle/W7KurzHxQswTPPDm8
Please note: Registration will be closed November 25.
If you have any questions regarding the institute please contact Daisy Castaneda at firstname.lastname@example.org